Saturday, July 19, 2014

Paper Moon (1973) Synopsis

Addie Loggins: How come she had to leave that job back there?
Imogene: Cause the boss-man tried to make her put out for his friends, and she don't believe in puttin' out for free!
Addie Loggins: She put out much?
Imogene: Just like a gum machine. You drop some in and she'll put some out.


Well I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.  This may be one of the best comedies/movies I have ever seen.  When I read that the lead characters were father and daughter in reality, I had a hunch that they would have good chemistry on camera.  But I had no idea that the chemistry could be worked into a chiseled animosity.   Here are some things that stood out to me about the film:

  • Addie might be my favorite child character of all time.  She deserved the Academy Award hands down.  I give props to her dad as well.  It has to take a certain resolve to let your young daughter smoke cigarettes in a motion picture.  But when she pulled out that cig and seemed to inhale, she reached a rank of badass that few child characters have reached in my book.  
  • The rhetoric between Addie and Moze was priceless.  When they are in the diner and she starts hassling him for the $200, I couldn't stop smiling.  She turned out to be a better hustler than him, and there is no doubt that he is her father.  They look just alike.  When Moze leaves to meet the old man at the end I actually thought that he was going to intentionally leave her.  I was sort of relieved that he got beat up instead of going the regular conman thing and leaving her high and dry.  And how clever were their scams.  The bootlegger scam didn't work perfectly in the end, but it was great to see it almost work.
  • Imogene and Addie had some priceless conversation.  The way they orchestrated Moze's discovery of his girlfriends infidelity was spot-on.  I loved how Addie was a hustler, but she realized when some people shouldn't be hustled.  For example, when her and Moze were about to hustle the woman and her 25 kids for bible money.  Her conscience kicked in and she made sure they didn't pay anything.  Same thing with the bootlegger.  Even though he turned out to be an asshole, she kept telling Moze to leave him some whiskey so he wasn't completely screwed.  
  • This comedy was so realistic.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Will Ferrell comedies just as much as the next guy, but if you think about it there are no more comedies like this anymore.  Most comedies use the unrealistic nature as an added comedic device, but this film relied purely on character development and reaction. 

O'Neal in 2003..  MY LAWD!


I can't say enough how much I liked this film.  Thanks to David for suggesting it.  I couldn't have spent my Saturday night any better, and I will be watching this film again.  I can't wait to hear what you guys think about it.  Let the discussion begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment