Friday, July 25, 2014

The Shootist (1976)

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.


I've chosen the 1976 western 'The Shootist' for our third installment.   This film was directed by Don Siegel (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Dirty Harry) and stars John Wayne in his final role.  I grew up watching John Wayne movies and for the most part they are all good.  However, I find that most are kind of cheesy and I can barely watch them more than once.  Based on what I have read about this film, it is a lot different than other Wayne flicks.  This movie has a much darker tone than films such as 'Rio Bravo' and 'McLintock'.  The film also includes appearances by James Stewart and a very young Ron Howard.


Here are some accolades the film received:
  • Writers Guild, nomination: "Best Adaptation of a Screenplay" - Scott Hale and Miles Hood Swarthout
  • Academy Awards, nomination: "Best Art Direction-Set Decoration" - Robert F. Boyle and Arthur Jeph Parker
  • Golden Globes, nomination: "Best Motion Picture Actor in a Supporting Role" - Ron Howard
  • BAFTA Film Award, nomination: "Best Actress" - Lauren Bacall


I am excited to watch this movie.  I will open the discussion up Wednesday.  Also, we are working on a standard rating system for all movies we review.  The rating system will consist of different moons that each reviewer can use to display their overall opinion of each film.  Thanks to David for the great idea and the finished rating system will be mainly his rendition and approval.  Also, a big shout out to Josh for polishing up the blog and getting it looking amazing.  He will mostly be in charge for site maintenance, and he is currently working hard on the domain we will be launching after the fifth movie.  I am very excited about the endless possibilities that are emerging here at AEIC!  Now....  Enjoy 'The Shootist'!

No comments:

Post a Comment